Sunday, July 8, 2012

My friend Gale pointed out that you can always look at the horizon, but you can never get there.  That thought really ties into the way I feel about my work- every piece is a new journey, full of promise and *sometimes* fulfillment, but it ends up as a gateway to something else.


I love this quote by Kandinsky:




"An empty canvas, apparently really empty, that says nothing and is without significance. Almost dull, in fact. In reality, however, [it's] crammed with thousands of undertone tensions and [is] full of expectancy. Slightly apprehensive lest it should be outraged ... It can contain anything but cannot sustain everything ... An empty canvas is a living wonder -- far lovelier than certain pictures."



To me, every project is a journey,which leads not to a destination, but to further horizons - the act of creating itself is as integral to me as breathing.


It's great that the next SAQA conference has Expanding Horizons as the theme.  We meet, share thoughts and ideas, and come away with a wider word view and a new appreciation of things that are possible.


Finally, I'd like to close with a quote by the Uruguayan writer Eduardo Hughes Galeano-


“Utopia lies at the horizon.
When I draw nearer by two steps,
it retreats two steps.
If I proceed ten steps forward, it
swiftly slips ten steps ahead.
No matter how far I go, I can never reach it.
What, then, is the purpose of utopia?
It is to cause us to advance.”
― Eduardo Hughes Galeano



********what's out there for all of us?  Am looking forward to the results of this exquisite challenge !***********



No comments:

Post a Comment