Friday, April 20, 2012

VP9: Our First Challenge

In collecting thoughts for this, our very first Viewpoints 9 challenge, a great quote came up in one of my searches: "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician.  I often think in music.  I live my daydreams in music.  I see my life in terms of music...." -Albert Einstein.  Coincidentally, the quote relates to our first challenge in several ways.

First, it embraces the idea of perceiving the world in a style other than words and pictures. This is the main objective of our group, to explore these "other" styles as sources of inspiration and interpret them into our artwork.

And, secondly, the theme of music. Years ago, in a music class, we were asked to listen to a piece of music and write down the images that came to mind.  An interesting exercise that made one realize how composers and choreographers may view their world very differently.  Like visual art and literature, music is put out there for us to experience.  And while the tempo, style or key may have universal significance, the experience is still very personal.  

Music comes into our lives in so many ways.  We know what we like.  We associate it with certain events (weddings, holidays) or specific people ("our song").  Music has the ability to transport us to other times and places in our lives.  

But in the absence of words or context, what can it conjure?  So, this is my challenge for all of us.  Listen and create....enjoy!


The Details: 
The orientation for this challenge is PORTRAIT.
The Virtual Gallery Opening will be on April 26th, 2012 

6 comments:

  1. are we to use this specific piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the specific piece for this challenge. The small album cover art was inserted by the recording company.....please, just ignore it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, have just read the challenge and it certainly will be interesting to interpret. Thanks Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting. I've got my Bose headsets out and I'm ready to roll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wondered what kind of music an artist listens to when he/she is creating?
    What kind of extension that a melody or tempo would bring to the space of creation?
    I once have been to Poland to visit Chopin’s former residence to feel his creative atmosphere and how he caught his inspiration, etc; I eagerly wanted to feel the same way as he did.
    What a magic! For Chopin, every tree and bush in lives and the interaction between people seemed to be his data bank, and words are in the next place!
    This was my observation..
    My trip in Poland proved that there is an impartible thread between art-creating and music!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music brings back memories that were formed with that music as a background. And they're usually so visual! And there's always "our song" no matter how many times you fall in love.

    ReplyDelete