Monday, August 26, 2013

Tangerine Trees

Tangerine Trees



I took a watercolor class at the library about ten years ago and the instructor challenged the students to be bold with color. She said if you looked hard enough, you could find every color in the spectrum in your subject.  "You think a palm tree is green? Look harder. In addition to myriad greens, you'll see yellow and blue, even fuchsia." Fuchsia? Really? I get the greens and yellows and even reflected blues, but pink? In a palm tree? Then she showed me.

She painted a dab of the most remarkable pink right next to the heart of the tree. Amazingly, it worked. Not only did it work, it made the painting more interesting and dynamic. What a fun and memorable lesson!

Of course my first thoughts of this challenge led me to the fuchsia palm. I sketched the pink palm with the green trunk next to a yellow sea and purple sky. Nice idea but unfortunately it only worked in theory. Other designs buzzed around my head like bees on a flower, but time ticked by and nothing congealed.

To say I'm not fond of the waiting phase of the design process would be an understatement. Rather than focus on the excitement of visions buzzing about the periphery, I feel pressured by time. I've always been a results-oriented person and knowing there is a deadline looming with a solution just beyond my reach is frustrating. My remedy? Play.

Detail
"Tangerine Trees" is the result of playing with inks and fabrics I hadn't used before. It is the product of "What if...?" combined with a healthy dose of urgency. The soft peachy color is unintentionally faded orange. I was impatient to get to work so I set the fabric in the sun to dry. You know what happens to inks in the sun? Hmm...the bottle does say lightfast AFTER they're dry. Ah well, I can deal with peach, I was just playing anyway.

I used a glue resist on the cotton and then dyed the muslin, synthetic acetate and sheers with India inks.

Oh yes, my husband named it. He said it reminded him of "tangerine trees and a marmalade sky" from the Beatles song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

8 comments:

  1. Fresh and fun! :-) I too had a watercolour teacher who put different colours in trees. We don't have palms up here -- at least, not outdoors -- but we *do* have evergreens...which aren't just one shade of green, and may also harbour blue and purple... Thanks for going out on limb with the Tangerine Trees (pun completely intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you mastered the challenge, Lisa-Marie! Glad you had some fun playing with colour ... and I just love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really unexpected result, Lisa-Marie. It's wonderful and the process sounds like a lot of fun! Wish I was there for a play day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you let go of any preconceived plan and the result is fresh, colourful and I'm enjoying looking into the shadows while 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds...'plays in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your piece certainly doesn't betray any impatience at all. Rather playful, end of a tropical day. And...the perfect title.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful. Thank you for sharing the story of the watercolor class!
    It brings me a new way of thinking!

    ReplyDelete